Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: The Bane by Keary Taylor

By 8:04 AM , , , , ,

The Bane (Eden Trilogy #1)
    by: Keary Taylor

Publication Date: Mar. 5, 2013
Publisher: Keary Taylor Books
Genre: Science- Fiction/ Dystopia
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: e-ARC received from NetGalley and the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 352 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 3.75/5 stars

Before the Evolution there was TorBane: technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter. It had the ability to grow new organs and limbs, to heal the world. Until it evolved out of control and spread like the common cold. The machine took over, the soul vanished, and the Bane were born. The Bane won't stop until every last person has been infected. With less than two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction.

Eve knows the stories of the Evolution, the time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. But she doesn't need memories to know this world is her reality. This is a world that is quickly losing its humanity, one Bane at a time.

Fighting to keep one of the last remaining human colonies alive, Eve finds herself torn between her dedication to the colony, and the discovery of love. There is Avian and West – one a soldier, one a keeper of secrets. And in the end, Eve will make a choice that will change the future of mankind.

The Bane is The Terminator meets The Walking Dead with a heart-twisting romance.

                                            -goodreads.com description


This book ended up being a very enjoyable read. I really struggled with it in the beginning- I felt there was a disconnect and I wasn't comprehending the big picture. The book started out a bit choppy and it took a little while to start to understand who the other characters were and how they were going to fit into the main character's world. We are thrown into this post apocalyptic world and are instantly shown how life is being lived among those who are remaining.

We meet Eve, our protagonist, who is dealing with the death of a close comrade, yet while others grieve around her, she does not. She offers help and solace, but is not one of those who is broken over losing a member of her team. Eve's team goes out on scouting missions and is also tasked with keeping Eden (their home) protected from the Bane, souless human machines. They are aggressive, fast, and bent on destruction of the remaining human populace.

We do not learn a whole lot about the Bane, until the story progresses. We discover that a group of scientists created TorBane, which was used for limb regeneration, but it had evolved on its own, taking over human bodies, turning them into monsters.

The men and women of Eden are trying to survive, by avoiding the Bane, but fighting them when necessary.

Human life is very precious, as there aren't many left. Losing a member of their community is very devastating. Eve discovers three humans in the woods nearby on a scouting mission and brings them to Eden. They are tested (to ensure they are completely human) and then gradually accepted into the community.

West, is about the same age as Eve, and she instantly does not trust him. She believes he has secrets. This puts a strain on their relationship, as Gabriel (the somewhat leader of Eden), instructs West to follow and work with Eve. West is a very important character to the novel, as he plays a big role in Eve discovering who she really is and finding out about her past.

I liked West, but I felt like his character needed some more development. We saw his hurt when Eve did not trust him, or when she went against him and we saw his feelings for Eve, but other than that I just didn't get  a whole lot from him.

The same rang true for Avian. Avian, was one of those who found Eve wandering around after the Evolution. He brought her to Eden and became a close friend of hers. However, through the book we start to see that he also has feelings for Eve. He is compassionate and serves on the sidelines as the community's medic. We do not originally see him as a fighter or a leader, but he ends up proving himself to be both towards the conclusion of the novel.

The two love interests are very different from each other and their approaches to Eve. West really wears his heart out on his sleeve and is more aggressive than Avian. Avian strikes me as shy and he doesn't aggressively pursue Eve. West is an explosion of emotion, but I feel Avian is that slow burning fire. Both, however, keep telling her that she needs to make a choice where they are concerned.

All of this is interesting especially since Eve is so devoid of emotion. We learn why this is later in the novel.

Overall, this book had a lot of action and the romance is really what bumped up my rating. (I do love a good romance!) Taylor really does leave you guessing until the end as to what is going to happen with Eve and who she is going to choose. I do like that Taylor resolves many of the story's conflicts in this novel, because I abhor cliff-hangers. There are still many questions regarding the Bane and the fate of the human population, so I'm looking forward to reading the second installment.

*Thank you to Keary Taylor for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in return for a fair and honest review.*

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Hmm. This one sounds pretty interesting. I am definitely intrigued by Eve's character and will probably read this to find out why she has no emotions.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up really liking it. There were a few things that irritated me (writing wise) but I was able to get past it and just enjoy the read. And the romance! Whew! LOVED it!

      Delete
  2. I just got this for review so I hope I enjoy it!
    I look forward to the action and romance because I to enjoy a good romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah- I definitely will want to hear your take on it!

      Delete
  3. Great review. I have had my eye on this. I think I am going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! I definitely would recommend it for a fun, fast-paced read.

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.