Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: The Collector by Victoria Scott

By 11:34 AM , , , , ,

The Collector (Dante Walker #1)
   by: Victoria Scott

Publication Date: April 2, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Genre: Fantasy/ Paranormal
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 352 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

He makes good girls...bad.

Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it. His good looks, killer charm, and stellar confidence have made him one of hell’s best—a soul collector. His job is simple: weed through humanity and label those round rears with a big red good or bad stamp. Old Saint Nick gets the good guys, and he gets the fun ones. Bag-and-tag.

Sealing souls is nothing personal. Dante’s an equal-opportunity collector and doesn't want it any other way. But he’ll have to adjust, because Boss Man has given him a new assignment:

Collect Charlie Cooper’s soul within ten days.

Dante doesn't know why Boss Man wants Charlie, nor does he care. This assignment means only one thing to him, and that’s a permanent ticket out of hell. But after Dante meets the quirky Nerd Alert chick he’s come to collect, he realizes this assignment will test his abilities as a collector…and uncover emotions deeply buried.

                         -goodreads.com description

I flippin' LOVED Dante. Seriously. I haven't read a book that has made laugh out loud in a LONG time. If ever. And I cracked up so many times I think people must have thought I was crazy. Victoria Scott is the QUEEN of one-liners. Everyone bow down to her, because she is. I loved reading this book from Dante's POV. He's not only hilarious, but he's such a GUY. And a bad one at that. I don't like bad boys. But I loved me some Dante. Actually, I just think I have a thing for bad boys gone good.

I really liked the idea behind this book. I really do feel like the angel thing is getting overdone, so I loved that Dante was a Soul Collector for Hell. His mission is to collect one girl's soul in ten days, but when are things ever as easy as they look?!

Seeing Dante's transformation and development in this book was such a fun, wild ride. We go from seeing this cocky, arrogant, jerk to someone who really just needed someone to believe in him and show him that he can be good and change if he wants to.

I really did feel for Charlie. She is your awkward, nerdy teenage girl who stands strong, despite the teasing and hurtful things some of her classmates do to her. Yet, like any awkward teenage girl, she does want to be beautiful and I hate that Dante encouraged it at first. (But I really liked seeing him realize that it's the little things about her that draw her to him) Overall, Charlie is just incredibly good and kind and I'm glad Dante is able to recognize that.

I also liked meeting Charlie's friends because the three of them really show the epitome of true friendship. All three are defensive of each other and it really warms your heart that Charlie has such great people in her corner.

I am really looking forward to the Victoria's second book in the series, The Liberator! I can't wait to see where she takes Dante and Charlie next!

*Thanks to Entangled Teen for providing me with a copy of this book for review. I received this book in return for a fair and honest review.*
 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I've been waiting to see reviews on this one. Glad to see its as good as the hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where some people might not like it, but I thought it was a great read!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! Reading lots of good reviews on this one! My copy's ordered already but was delayed. It will be my second book to read after my review books I've neglected for a month, and I have another read that I am dying to get as well, a little more so than this one! But it will be directly after that for sure!

    Once again, great reivew! Totally excited for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I'm in the same boat as you with getting books read and putting them in some kind of priority order! LOL. I hope you love Dante when you do get to meet him. I'll be looking out for your review!

      Delete
  3. Okay, another shining review for this book. I'm starting to feel like it's a personal challenge that I read this book and see if I still hate Dante at the end of it (because I'm sure not interested in him from the book's description). Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I just love it when bad boys find redemption and transform. So, this book worked for me. Not to mention, I was laughing so hard most of the time.

      Delete
  4. I loved Dante so much to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't really like Charlie's transformation either. He ended up liking her for her and I wish she didn't have to change.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.