Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Fix You, Bash and Olivia Book One by Christine Bell

By 12:02 PM , , , , , ,

Fix You, Bash and Olivia Book One (The McDaniels Brothers #1)
    by: Christine Bell

Publication Date: March 27, 2014
Publisher: Self-Published
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 74 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Olivia Beckett’s once-charmed life is falling apart. Her family is about to lose everything, and she has almost no chance of continuing her college education. She can't even seek solace from her high school sweetheart. He's changed. She doesn't recognize the boy she used to know— his violent behavior is escalating and it scares the hell out of her. Her whole world is crumbling, and she has no one to turn to……

Sebastian “Bash” McDaniels is an up and comer in the boxing world working nights at the local college bar until he can land the fight of his dreams that will get him the hell out of Boston and away from his family's tragic past. He’s weeks from his goal when Olivia Beckett comes tumbling into his life in a flash of silky dark hair and haunted eyes. When he saves her from a potentially brutal beating, they begin to grow close, but Olivia's ex isn’t ready to let her go so easily.

Bash can't bring himself to walk away, but fixing Olivia just might leave him broken…

 

I've only read one other serial novel before, so I was prepared for the novella feel, but in no way was I prepared for the ending! It wasn't a cliffhanger per say, but it definitely left me desperate to get my hands on the next book! I really enjoyed reading Christine's books from the Brazen line, so I knew I would I enjoy this one. For being the first serial, it sure packs a steamy punch!

Pacing: Due to the fact that these are serial reads, the pacing is very fast- Christine does not hesitate in jumping right in and introducing you to the characters and describing their immediate attraction to one another. For this type of novel, I felt it really worked well.

Storyline: I feel we got a pretty good introduction to the characters and their personalities here. Olivia and Bash come from different worlds and circumstances, but after a chance encounter, neither can stop thinking about the other. They know nothing can come of what they feel, and yet they find themselves wanting more, consequences be damned. I really do love the forbidden type romances because it makes every touch, feeling, and thought that much more passionate and powerful.

Characters: Overall, I liked both Bash and Olivia. They have some serious chemistry together and I am really excited to see where Bell takes them next! On the outside it may seem Olivia Beckett has a great life, but in reality, it's not as perfect as it appears. Olivia's family's financial situation is quite serious, and Olivia is on the verge of losing everything. Her seemingly perfect boyfriend, Andy, has a much darker side lurking and if Olivia isn't careful, she could end up in some real trouble. I really felt for her, but I'm glad she realizes the seriousness of the situation and attempts to do what's best for her, instead of sticking around because it's what expected. It took her a little longer than I liked to find that courage, as the situation with Andy has been a volatile one long before that night she first met Bash. She is convinced that the sweet boy she used to know is still there and he's just an angry drunk.

I liked Bash immediately. He is a good guy and I really feel he's getting the short end of the stick here, simply because he saw a potentially dangerous situation and took charge of it. We don't find out a whole lot about Bash's past, but we do discover that he has two other brothers and is a boxer who wants to get the hell out of Boston. He gives the term 'knight in shining armor' a whole other meaning here and I don't blame Olivia one bit for not being able to let him slip away without him understanding her gratitude and also her regret for what he did for her. He tries to distance himself from her because he knows anything they have can only be temporary, but Olivia is sweet and sexy and he just can't stay away no matter how hard he tries.

Final Thoughts: I am really looking forward to seeing where Bell goes with this and see if Bash and Olivia will be able to overcome the multitude of obstacles in their way in order to be together. They both have a plan for their lives and whether it will involve the other is still to be determined....
 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Great Review Jess! I love forbidden romances as well, and agree that Bash got the short end of the stick! Yes, he is a knight in Shinning armor :) I hope Andy gets what's coming to him! I loved the fast pace too, and agree that it worked perfectly for this story!

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy! Poor Bash. He was such a sweetheart. And I hope so too. Andy is a class A douche!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know this was a serial until after I got this. I don't know how I feel about serials but I've never read it. I don't really like cliffhangers but this story sounds good so I'm still giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate cliffhangers too. I'm bummed we have to wait, but it was still a fun one.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good, Jessica. Bash and Olivia seem like characters I'd like to meet. I'm reading a serial right now and I'm enjoying it. It's only the second one I've ever read and I've been skeptical of them because I hate waiting! ;) But your review makes Fix You seem like a serial I'd be willing to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's the only bad thing about serials! The wait between!

      Delete
  4. This does sound like a good read! And I really do like the sound of the story-line and the characters! :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I'm a big Christine Bell fan, so I will read anything she writes.

      Delete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.