Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

By 9:11 AM , , , , ,

The Distance Between Us
    by: Kasie West

Publication Date: July 2, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Purchased for Kindle
Page Count: 312 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

 
 
How is it that this was one of my most anticipated summer reads of 2013 and now almost two years later, I'm just now reading it?! I thought this was a really cute one and I loved Caymen's sarcasm and Xander's chivalrous attitude. I do wish the book had gone a bit deeper in terms of Caymen's family situation though. When the book ended I felt a little gypped to be honest, because I wanted MORE.
 
The romance between Caymen and Xander was pretty sweet, though it was rather slow moving at first. I really like stories with characters from different social classes falling for another. Caymen and her mom are desperately trying to make ends meet with their doll store they own, and Xander is the epitome of a spoiled, arrogant, rich guy. I wasn't impressed by him at first glance, but Caymen's dry humor definitely loosened him up a bit and he ended up being a total sweetheart. I didn't like how judgmental Caymen could be about him just because he had money though. Her reasons aren't unfounded though as her mother has been filling her head with her own bad experience.
 
I like how interested Xander was in Caymen from the get-go. He actively pursues her and wants to get to know her and spend time together. They have these Saturday career days, where they take the other to do something different just to find out what they might like to do in their future, since they are both so undecided. Xander's future has been mapped out for him by his father, but he is unsure if he wants to follow in his footsteps. I was afraid that Xander's family would turn out to be manipulative and look down at Caymen because of her social status, but that wasn't the case at all. They ended up being really nice to her. I am still unsure if it's because she genuinely made Xander happy or because of some information we found out towards the end of the novel. I'd like to think it's the former instead of the latter though.
 
I never felt everything got 100% resolved in this one. Like I said, I felt the book just kind of ended and I was like, whoa, wait a minute.... Oh well. This was still cute and I definitely enjoyed it and will be reading more from Kasie West soon!

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. I can't believe you're only now getting to this book! :) I really enjoyed this one for sure, but I agree with you, I needed more from the ending. I've gotten used to Kasie West's books being like that though. At least they leave you hopeful though.I loved the banter between Caymen and Xander. They were so adorable.
    Lovely review, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I can't even believe I put it off for so long when it was my most anticipated summer read that year! ROFL. I really did enjoy that Kasie ended on a hopeful note though. That works for me! Caymen and Xander were so great together! He was so funny coming into the doll shop!

      Delete
  2. Her sarcasm made the book for me. It really did. I have enjoyed all of Kasie West's novels so far. :) I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved her sarcasm so much! It was so perfect for me, as I'm a really sarcastic person myself!

      Delete
  3. I definitely want to read this one! I do like the sound of the characters and of course, the story! Hopefully I can get to it soon!

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Magen! It's such a quick read too! I read in no time and couldn't believe I had already finished!

      Delete
  4. Ah, I still haven't read this one! I need to get started on Kasie's books bc everyone loves them and I really enjoyed her first couple of books. Sucks that the ending to this book was a bit abrupt though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't wait to read Pivot Point and Split Second! I definitely need to carve out time for those ones!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you hadn't read this? I love this book so much, it was so damn cute. And yeah, Kasie's books are short, I always want a little bit mor eat the end but I love what I get anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I hadn't read it? I can't. LOL. I just never seemed to get around to it! I'm glad to know this about Kasie's books though and that it's a trend with her others, so at least I have an idea.

      Delete
  6. Wheeeee, finally! I'm so glad you loved this one, Jess! Is this four for four then? I've read West's five published and really, really loved them all :) I hope you love The Fill-In Boyfriend!

    Fabulous review :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, surprisingly Alyssa, this was 1/5! It was my first Kasie book! So now I totally get the hype!

      Delete
  7. That is one of my biggest issues with YA contemp, so many times I feel like they just end and don't give me enough of a conclusion. I have heard wonderful things about this author though so I do want to give her books a shot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that too Teresa. I'm always greedy with books ending anyway because when I really love a couple I just want to read about them for days! I definitely enjoyed the story even though I felt a bit gypped, so I think you should definitely read her because it was just FUN!

      Delete
  8. This is my favorite Kasie West book, but I know a lot of readers felt like the ending was rushed/abrupt. I would have loved an epilogue! Xander and Caymen make such a great couple - her sarcasm and his chivalry are a fun/hilarious combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am all for epilogues! That way if a book does end rather abruptly, you can give a bit more just to satisfy the readers' curiosity. I loved them together and I was internally yelling at Caymen to make the jump!

      Delete
  9. I agree that this might have not been my fave Kasie West book because I wasn't too sure about the drama & revelations added about Caymen's family only at the end like that!
    Great review, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those things were a bit awkward but I was able to get past them for the most part. I am excited to read some of Kasie's other books!

      Delete
  10. Yes!!! I am so glad you picked this up recently because you reminded me that I hadn't read it yet either. I hate to call it a "cute read" but it really was. I loved Caymen and all her sarcasm. I did feel the ending was a bit rushed and it could benefit from an epilogue, but I'm also kind of ok with the ending being a little more open. I'm weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read this (or any Kasie West book), but I really, really want to! I think I'll start with this one though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.