Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

By 8:52 AM , , , , ,

I'll Meet You There
   by: Heather Demetrios

Publication Date: Feb. 3, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Preordered/Purchased
Page Count: 379 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 5/5 stars

If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.

 
 
So many people were listing this book as the one they'd be least likely to lend out for fear of missing it too much on the Taylor Swift Book Tag. I totally get it now you guys. I don't think this is a book I could bear to part with either. I knew going in this would be an emotional one, so I was prepared for the most part. There were some very heartbreaking moments for both Skylar and Josh, but there are a lot of hopeful, beautiful ones too. This book reminds me of one of my favorite contemporaries, Stir Me Up by Sabrina Elkins, which also follows a wounded Marine and the aftermath of his injuries. I knew I would love this one just as much and that it would be one of those books that just stay with you.
 
The book is told from mainly Skylar's point of view, but we do have short chapters from Josh's as well. I don't want to give anything away, but the way Demetrios did Josh's POV was brilliant and so very deeply moving. They were especially difficult for me to read, as some of his experiences and the way he would talk about his unit reminded me of a dear friend who also served overseas in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Josh wasn't a perfect character by any means. He has so much on his plate with trying to acclimate being back from overseas and dealing with the loss of not only his leg, but men who became like brothers to him. His chapters could be pretty bleak and my heart ached for him so much.
 
Josh has known Skylar for some time now, having both worked together at the Paradise Motel before he enlisted in the Marines. The two reconnect after he gets home and I loved seeing them develop a friendship with one another. Skylar is counting down the days until she can leave Creek View behind for greener pastures. She has worked hard to obtain a full scholarship to college and she is desperate for a new start in San Francisco. My heart hurt for Skylar as well because of the situation with her mom and it was hard to read about Skylar desperately trying to make ends meet, especially after her mom loses her job. She has her good friends Dylan and Chris, both of whom I enjoyed immensely, but it was her friendship turned relationship with Josh that really spoke to me.
 
I loved these two and I couldn't wait for them to finally take the plunge together. As I said earlier, they are not perfect characters and they both made mistakes when it came to one another. Josh especially makes a pretty big one and I was quite upset with him for it. To err is human nature and I was able to forgive him for it, but it was still hard to see Skylar hurt that way. He is also hurting and lets his fear consume him, thus distancing himself from her. The book is made up of some really great moments between them too. The Hotel California scene is going to remain one of my very favorites for a long time to come. Their relationship progressed so naturally and not once did I feel it felt rushed or forced. I loved watching them seek one another out and every time Josh asked Skylar how the Sky was I felt myself melt because it was such a sweet way to find out how she was feeling.
 
I still can't quite believe I read this book in one sitting. I am such a distracted reader of late, so the fact that I was able to sit down and just fully immerse myself in the story was pretty incredible. I kept telling myself to slow down and savor it, but there was just no way. Especially not when I had a letter from Josh to open at the end! Thank you Heather for that. It was just what I needed to read after finishing and I couldn't stop smiling afterwards.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. YAY!!!! I'm so glad you loved this one! Skylar and Josh's story was so heartbreaking and perfect. They are definitely one of my favorite ships :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, yet another five-star review. There are soooo many positive reviews for this book! I LOVED Exquisite Captive by this author, but didn't think I would like this book. It's contemporary, so I passed. I regret that a tiny bit... but it's on my summer binge-read list! :D

    Excellent review, Jess!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved it! I can't wait to read it! I stashed my letter in my car so I woudln't be tempted to open it.. I have terrible self control with things like that haha. Anyway, I can't believe you just read it all in one sitting but that is a good sign! I can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review, Jess! I'm so happy you were finally able to read this one... and you loved it! There are some really difficult parts (and yes, that mistake Josh made nearly broke me) but it's such a hopeful, romantic, and beautiful story. I love those two so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm gonna be reading this one tonight, after I return from my cinema outing with my bestie, I've had it for quite a while and all the positive reviews make me want to read it, and yours makes me want to read it RIGHT NOW!
    Fantastic review Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so so so happy you loved this, Jess. This is one of my all-time favorite reads and it's a difficult but important book. I love the way the author portrayed Josh too. I thought it was so realistic. And the romance was just so hopeful and made me so happy.
    Really glad to see more people loving this!
    Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw you were reading this and was waiting to see what you thought! So glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this book so freaking much. Probably my top favorite of the year so far. I have my fingers and toes crossed for it to be released on audio :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.