Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Reviews: Boomerang and Rebound by Noelle August

By 7:49 AM , , , , , ,

Boomerang (Boomerang #1)
   by: Noelle August

Publication Date: July 8, 2014
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC received via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 336 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars

The first book in a sensational New Adult trilogy from Noelle August

Welcome to Boomerang.com, the dating site for the millennial gen with its no-fuss, no-commitments matchups, and where work is steamier than any random hook-up

Mia Galliano is an aspiring filmmaker. Ethan Vance has just played his last game as a collegiate soccer star. They’re sharp, hungry for success, and they share a secret.

Last night, Ethan and Mia met at a bar, and, well . . . one thing led to another, which led to them waking up the next morning—together. Things turned awkward in a hurry when they found themselves sharing a post hookup taxi . . . to the same place: Boomerang headquarters.

What began as a powerful connection between them is treated to a cold shower courtesy of two major complications. First, Boomerang has a strict policy against co-worker dating. And second, they’re now competitors for only one job at the end of summer.

As their internships come to an end, will they manage to keep their eyes on the future and their hands off each other, or will the pull of attraction put them right back where they started?


 
 
I had heard such good things about this one so I can hardly believe I waited as long as I did to start it! I really liked this one! It was cute, sweet, and a lot of fun. I loved the chemistry and banter between Ethan and Mia and I felt like I was going to scream because of all the tension!
 
Ethan and Mia find themselves in quite the pickle, as they have just woken up together after a drunken night that neither remembers very clearly. Strapped for time, the two are in a rush to get to their new internships, which happen to be at the same building... and at the same company. Things get even more complicated as they find out they are competing for a position at the company and there is a strict no dating policy among employees. Even with their attraction to one another, both Mia and Ethan want the job so they will have to put any lingering feelings on the backburner. Of course, this is easier said than done. Mia and Ethan have such great banter and I love how well they play off of one another. There were points where I was so frustrated with Ethan though because I didn't like seeing Mia get hurt by his unwillingness to be honest with her and himself.
 
Boomerang is the new, hip online dating company and not only can Mia and Ethan not date one another due to the rules, but they are also 'encouraged' to take advantage of the dating service themselves. One thing leads to another, ex-girlfriends get involved, hearts get broken, shenanigans ensue... It definitely makes for a fun ride and I loved seeing Ethan finally reach that moment where he realized he really cared for Mia and wanted to be with her, damn the consequences.
 
I really enjoyed seeing Mia's eccentric family. They are an important part of her life, especially her Nan, whom she admires very much. We don't get as much time with Ethan's family, but they were also really fun to see if only briefly. I also really enjoyed Ethan's roommate Jason and his girlfriend Isis. While the side characters didn't play huge roles, I felt they were still important enough, as they are a part of Ethan and Mia's lives.
 
I can't wait to read Adam and Alison's story next. Both are characters we saw here, so it will be interesting to see how they come together as a couple!
 
 
 
Rebound (Boomerang #2)
   by: Noelle August

Publication Date: Feb. 10, 2015
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC provided via Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 288 pages
Order Links: Amazon | B&N
My Rating: 4/5 stars

Hooking up is only the beginning of the fun in this sexy and irresistible second installment of the thrilling New Adult series, Boomerang.

Adam Blackwood has it all. At twenty-two, he’s fabulously wealthy, Ryan Gosling-hot and at the top of the heap in the business world. His life is perfect, until a scandal from his past resurfaces and knocks the tech wunderkind down, throwing his company, Boomerang, a hook-up site for millennials, into chaos.

Three years ago, Adam married his high school love—and then lost her in a tragic accident. Now, the heartbreak and guilt he’s tried to bury with work and women begins to take over his life.

Alison Quick, the twenty-one-year-old daughter of a business tycoon—and the very ex-girlfriend of Boomerang’s former intern, Ethan—has a problem of her own. She’s got one chance to prove to her father that she deserves a place in his empire by grabbing control of Boomerang and taking Adam down.

But as Alison moves in on him, armed with a cadre of lawyers and accountants, she discovers there’s much more to Adam and Boomerang than meets the eye. Will earning her father’s approval come at the price of losing her first real love? It appears so, unless Adam can forgive her for wrecking his life and trying to steal his livelihood. But Alison hopes that old adage is right. Maybe love can conquer all.
 
 
 
I am LOVING this series so much! It's fun and cute and I just love the way these two ladies write! I really enjoyed reading Alison and Adam's story, even though once again I thought I'd die from the tension! I just wanted them together! I love how real and vulnerable these two are upon first meeting at Mia's Halloween party. Both are masked so they don't know who the other is, but there's a freedom in that anonymity and it really gives us a glimpse early on of who these characters are. I loved that.
 
Once they discover each other's true identities, they are forced to take a step back and maintain some distance, as Alison will be working closely with Adam to determine if his company is worth her father's investment money. I did NOT like Alison's father at all. He just rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't like the power he held over Alison, making her feel like she needed to get back in his good graces for having made some mistakes in college. Things escalate in this department, as Alison's father begins bugging her to find out more about Adam, when it's clear he's hiding something big that he doesn't wish to reveal.
 
The conflict in this one was pretty predictable, but that didn't bother me too much. The one thing that did however, was the fact that Adam and Alison's resolution of this conflict happened kind of out of the blue. I even went back and reread a few pages because I thought I missed something. They are on the outs with one another and then all of a sudden Adam is over it and I guess I just missed that going from point A to point B.
 
I did like seeing the Boomerang crew and that we got to see Mia and Ethan happy and together. I am glad things weren't awful between them and Alison. Alison actually wasn't the cold-hearted, ice queen that Ethan portrayed her to be and I genuinely liked her in this book. Sure, she should have told her dad what was up long before she did, but oh well.
 
The Adam and Alison scenes were just so wonderful in this book. I loved how peaceful they were together and that they genuinely enjoyed one another's company. They really learn a lot about one another just from their reactions and how they light up when talking about things they love.
 
I am excited for Adam's brother's book next. We meet Grey here and he is a wild child who likes to raise some hell. It will be fun to see who they match him up with!
 
If you're in the mood for some fun, sweet, and cute New Adult reads, definitely pick this series up. I am kicking myself for not reading them sooner!
 

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you gave this series a shot, Jessica. They really are some cute books. I loved all these couples and can't wait for the next book. I agree that the resolution in Rebound happened rather swiftly. I still really enjoyed the character dynamics though, so it didn't really bother me.
    Lovely reviews, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They were so fun! I can't wait for Bounce either, especially now that we know who Grey's leading lady is!

      Delete
  2. I have been dying to read this series. You have no idea how much. I don't even own the books yet. My massive TBR is giving me guilt and I just haven't bought them yet. I really do want to though. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one.

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I've been wanting to read this since the first one came out last July, but I definitely understand the massive TBR! It was hard for me to fit them in, but I've been really stringent about my review schedule. I hope you get to them soon Michelle!

      Delete
  3. I was really on the fence with these but you make them sound so fun and I think more NA reads need to be fun! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, no Teresa! They are really fun and I think you'd really enjoy them!

      Delete
  4. I remember wanting to read Boomerang! It sounds like it was a cute and fun read :) And the second one sounds so good as well! I know this is a series I'm going to have to try and read! I love cute, fun romances.

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magen! Yes- these are adorable. So perfect when you need something quick, light, and fun. Sometimes I need a break from the overly angsty and just read with a silly grin on my face!

      Delete
  5. I really liked both of these but liked Rebound better, these were fun books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like Adam better in terms of him and Ethan, just because Ethan really drove me crazy. I did enjoy Mia a bit more than Alison though, she was more my kind of girl. I'm really glad I picked these up!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed these two! Binge-reading for the win! I thought Boomerang was just okay, but I liked Rebound more. Probably because Rebound had less of that competition aspect that I found distasteful in Boomerang. In any case, I think it's a WIN in general that I liked these books, give that they're New Adult novels! I know they're totally your thing so I'm not surprised that you are loving the series. Hopefully Bounce is the best of them all! I'm looking forward to reading Bounce :D

    Fabulous review, Jess!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for that either in Boomerang Alyssa. That part was a bit frustrating, so I can see why you enjoyed Rebound more. I am super excited for Bounce and can't wait to see more Grey!

      Delete
  7. Ohhhh yay, this sounds ADORABLE. Like, seriously sugar-sweet. I feel like I need that right now, because I just read Bitterblue and it drained the life from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! These are super sweet! And really light! No heavy reading here! I do that with books myself. If I read a heavier book I have to balance it out with a light, fluffy one!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like such a fun series, one I need to get my hands on! Fun, sweet and cute is always a winning formula for me. Great reviews Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish! I definitely rec this series. I agree- fun, sweet, and cute never steers me wrong and is always just what I need!

      Delete
  9. I loved Boomerang! I didn't click quite as much with Rebound because the story felt just a little too similar to the first book. I still liked it, but it had lost some of the original magic for me. It could've just been my mood, too. It wouldn't be the first time! I'm really looking forward to Bounce though. It's just a fun series.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.