Lovin' los libros

A book blog dedicated to young adult and new adult novels

Review: Get Real by Tellulah Darling

By 10:01 AM , , , ,

Get Real (Get Real #1)
   by: Tellulah Darling

Publication Date: Sept. 26, 2015
Publisher: Te Da Media
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age Group: New Adult
Source: e-ARC received via the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Page Count: 358 pages
Order Links: Amazon | iTunes | Kobo
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Magic and Mayhem in Manhattan

Francesca Bellafiore comes from a nice Jewish family -- one that happens to have magical powers. Underneath her good-girl exterior, though, she’s a wannabe badass with dreams of becoming a paranormal detective.

Party boy Rafael Muñoz does everything possible to publicly disappoint his high profile father. Privately, it's a different story. His carefully crafted bad boy reputation masks the fact he’s a master illusionist, forced into solo covert ops. The role is wearing thin and Rafael longs to be part of a team.

When Francesca and Rafael meet, it’s love at first sight… For about five minutes. Rafael is spectacularly attractive—and, Francesca discovers, fully aware of the fact. Rafael knows from experience that girls like Francesca are more trouble than they’re worth.

So it sucks big time when they’re caught in a web of magic, minions, secrets, and enough sexual tension to power NYC. Their only chance to save the city and survive is to team up, trust each other–and maybe even fall in love.

Provided they don't kill each other first.

Get Real is a romantic comedy, urban fantasy whirlwind with sass, sex, and swoon.

 
 
Having really enjoyed Tellulah's Blooming Goddess trilogy because of its snarky humor, I knew that I would give Get Real a try because I was sure it would provide much of the same. While Frankie wasn't quite as snarky as Sophie, I did enjoy her badass attitude. She could hold her own, especially when it came to Rafa, but she also has a vulnerable side to her too- a side that doesn't want to disappoint the ones she loves.
 
I am always up for urban fantasy, so I liked this idea that there were a group of humans called Cadabras and they were born with certain magical abilities. Frankie was born a Bio, which primarily means she can heal and therefore is expected to follow in her family's footsteps and become a Healer. However, Frankie dreams of being a Boiler, which is one of MAGE's detectives. (MAGE is the organization that all Cads will work for once they come of age.) Frankie is too afraid to talk to her moms and disappointing them, so she decides to be the Healer they want her to be instead, much to her dismay.
 
The book is told from Frankie and Rafael's point of views. Rafael, or Rafa, is the son of the director of MAGE and there is some serious tension there. Rafa resents his father because he has been employing Rafa on missions long before he's actually supposed to, as Rafa's abilities are unique. Rafa hates being under his father's thumb and can't wait to be initiated into MAGE for real and hopefully be given a different job. I liked Rafa, but I didn't like the way he treated Frankie. There is a lot of back and forth on his part and it was hard to fall for him because of that.
 
I am always up for a hate to love relationship because there's something so intense about those kinds of relationships. However, I struggled with Rafa and Frankie's. It almost felt too much at times, but then again Frankie is Italian and Rafa is Venezuelan, so I can't say I'm surprised that they are both hot headed and stubborn.
 
While the story itself was fun, I did find myself getting a bit overwhelmed. There's so much going on and I almost felt there was TOO much so it was hard to keep my head wrapped around everything. I think because of that, the romance didn't feel developed enough to me.
 
This is the first installment of the Get Real series, and while the major conflict is introduced here, it is not resolved. The next book will follow a different couple, but I'm sure we'll still see Frankie and Rafa, as their groups of friends have merged and are working together to help solve the issue at hand. 
 



A special note from author Tellulah Darling:

BOOK PIMP SPECIAL!
 
The first 50 people to:

 
1. Convince a friend to pre-order Get Real.

2. Tell the friend to send their screenshot/photo to td@tellulahdarling.com for their short story and mention your name as their book pimp.

3. Will receive from me (in thanks for book pimpage) one of these limited edition (first 50 people part) truly awesome wristbands, containing a quote by the very swoony Rafael. Look. Here's a photo of one:
 
 

You get the entire quote - half on one side of the bracelet and half on the other.

 
And I’ll autograph it for you.

 

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave me some comment love! And I will get around to commenting back!

My blog is an award-free blog, however, as I just do not have the time to follow-up.

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.